Associate Professor in Cultural Heritage
Associate Professor in Cultural Heritage
The research priority area aims to produce research of the highest level in the area of cultural heritage and identity. This entails the study of material and immaterial heritage, of the meaning of heritage in relation to individual, local, national and supra-national identities and of the new media that preserve and/or visualize heritage. The programme works in cooperation with a broad range of humanities disciplines, academic institutions and heritage institutions in the city of Amsterdam, the Netherlands as well as in an international context. Digital humanities play an important role in the programme.
The researchers who participate in the Research Priority Area form part of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) or the Institute of Culture and History (ICG). For further information, visit http://www.hum.uva.nl/asca and http://www.hum.uva.nl/icg. Depending on her or his disciplinary background, the associate professor will be placed in one of the departments of the Faculty of Humanities: Art, Religion & Cultural Sciences; Dutch Studies; History, Archaeology & Area Studies; Language & Literature; Media Studies; Philosophy.
The associate professor is expected to
- carry out her or his own research within the Research Priority Area and one of the research institutes ASCA or ICG.
- contribute to the research management within the Research Priority Area
- carry out teaching tasks within the Ba- and Ma-programmes of the Faculty; these tasks will at least in part be aimed at developing innovative teaching in the field of the research priority area, with the scope of making it more visible in the regular Ba- and Ma-curricula.
- supervise PhD-projects.
- general administration and coordination tasks.
According to standard faculty procedure, 40% of the available time is available for research. The allotment of time to the other four tasks will be decided prior to the appointment of the associate professor and will depend on specific plans and circumstances. A minimum teaching load of 25% must, however, be expected.
Within the period of appointment, the associate professor is furthermore expected to draw up and submit an application for substantial external research funding from NWO or the ERC. If awarded, this project must then be executed at the Faculty of Humanities of the UvA.
- A PhD in a relevant field of the humanities;
- at least five years of teaching experience, preferably at various levels of university education; an interest in new and innovative methods of teaching (especially the use of audio-visual digital technology and electronic learning environments);
- outstanding research skills, demonstrated by publications in international refereed academic journals and academic publishers;
- fundraising experience, e.g. acquisition of research projects through government agencies or the private sector;
- experience in supervising PhD research;
- proven leadership qualities; experience in administration, organization and coordination of university teaching and especially research;
- enthusiasm, an interdisciplinary attitude, a strong team spirit and the ability to motivate team members;
- sound knowledge of ICT developments in the field;
- flexibility, readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation and multidisciplinary development;
- excellent command of both Dutch and English; preferably international teaching experience. If Dutch is not the native language, an active and passive command should be acquired within two years of appointment.
Application letter and CV should be addressed to the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, professor dr. Frank van Vree, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam. The application deadline is 1 August 2012. The top left-hand corner of the envelope should be marked with the vacancy number and the words « strictly confidential ».
Alternatively, applications may be e-mailed to ‘email@example.com’. Please indicate the vacancy number in the subject field. A public lecture may form part of the selection procedure.
No agencies please